Friday, February 1, 2013

Old Bands Redone for Pop Lovers - and Tich

Everyone in the good ole U.S. of A knows E! as the show that brought us the Kardashians (good? bad? sound off below!), but now it's also the network with a new show called "Chasing the Saturdays", starring a certain five lovely ladies who make kick butt music. My source to this knowledge? The most recent issue of Glamoholic magazine (what a name...) features the Saturdays on the COVER, and the interview is all about their new show and some of their new U.S. music. Their first single What About Us is incredible. It feels more powerful to me than their other songs (though maybe I'm just loving the Los Angeles-esque background and video, reminds me of the time I was at Venice Beach and on the set of Miranda Cosgrove's video Kissin' U The new EP, title Chasing the Saturdays after the show, has What About Us and four additional songs: All Fired Up which sounds more classically Saturdays than What About Us, which I love, but it was nice to have a change. Higher shocked me at first with the electronic opening. It's a very Saturdays signature to play around with electronic stuff, but I felt this song was a bit heavy on the electronic music. The music video, on the other hand, is adorable. FINALLY I can buy Notorious, because it is easily one of my favorite Saturday songs. I'm not sure why, I just love it so much (maybe the whole attitude? Probably). Ego was stronger than Higher, but less than All Fired Up, but I think it's a very good ending song (seeing as it is a bit about ending a relationship, so the tune is a bit goodbye-ish). I'm super excited about what else the Saturdays may have in store for us! Think they'll break America?

Until now, I have resisted dubstep. The electronic squealing, the weird vibe that means instrumental is more important than the voice, the whole general weirdness of it.

Luckily, I think I can count Krewella as dub-pop. Now that I've FINALLY listened to them at the insistence of an extreme dubstep fan, I have to admit myself a convert. Their song Alive is easily my favorite - its also the least dubstep-ish one that I've heard by them, interestingly enough. Krewella is actually pretty well known, so I wouldn't usually present them, but if you blew them off on the basis of their being dubstep, check again! Play Hard actually is a very dubstep song, very screechy and electronic (not a huge fan of that one, as you can tell)but Feel Me is a great song with a killer video. Killin It isn't the best as far as I'm concerned, but it is pretty good! And of course, their clothes are amazing.

Tich. When I first found out that was the name of an artist, I had absolutely no clue as to what they would sound like. Pop? Indie? Rock? Turns out, "they" are a "she", and she came to fame thanks to her covers. Breathe In, Breathe Out is a pretty sweet song of hers, and although it definitely has an instrumental feel, the lyrics and the beat has a pop attitude. And her accent is adorable. Not as great as A*M*E*'s accent (I am a sucker for accents) but it's still great. Dust is sweeter, and sounds less like pop, and more like something else - I'm not sure what. She definitely has those Alicia Keys power notes, but it isn't R&B. Let's just call her a pop beauty and keep listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment